loading...

PROSTATE CANCER

Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancer detected in men. The incidence of CaP continues to increase with advancing age. Over 95% of the cancers of the prostate are adenocarcinomas. Of the other 5% most are transitional cell carcinomas. Most patients with early-stage CaP are asymptomatic. The presence of symptoms often suggests locally advanced or metastatic disease. Obstruction may cause straining ,poor flow, irritation may cause frequency .There may be blood in urine.Spread to bones may present as local pain.With increasing avalibilty of blood test , araised serum PSA  may sugguest presence of prostate cancer.MRI prostate and bone scan are done to evaluate disease burden.Diagnosis is confirmed by prostate biopsy.Cancer confined to prostate gland may be treated by radical prostatectomy.Locally advance disease may need be started on hermonal therapy before radical prostatectomy.Metastatic disease undergo bilateral orchiectomy or testosterone production suppressant injection(LHRH agonist/antagonist).Patient not responding to hormonal manipulation receive chemotherapy.Selected patients may umdergo only observation or surveillance.